I Want to be Proud of My Son. I Want to be Proud of Me.

Sunday, April 14th

During morning meditation, I asked my Spirit Guide Somoya what I needed to know for today.  I then heard an internal voice say, “I want to be proud of my son.  I want to be proud of me.”

Both my son and I have been diagnosed and live with learning challenges.  Our experience in how to maneuver through the world is more difficult than those who don’t live with learning challenges. Succeeding in academics is very hard for both of us.  As a result, it affects our self-esteem and limits our career opportunities. We need to be open, creative, and think outside the box in order to be happy and successful.  I recognize my skill-set with assisting people with their mental health recovery is a gift.  I am excellent in how I support others, offer tools, and hope.  The trick was I had to radically accept the pay was OK, in order to keep doing what I love!  I need to appreciate my daily needs are met.  Therefore, I can be proud of myself.  I am healthy and successful at meeting my needs and the needs of others on a daily basis.

When it comes to my son, I need to separate myself/my personality from his.  We have similar academic struggles, and the fears and angst that comes with it.  I am doing my best to validate and normalize what he is going through.  He is his own person.  All I can do is teach, model, and be supportive by being transparent about my academic struggles.  I know I was hard on myself all my childhood and most of my adult life.  I don’t want to be hard on him.  Mason is intelligent.  He is capable of being flexible and thinking outside of the box. He knows how to use his voice and make good choices.  Whatever the outcome, I want to be proud of him every step of the way.  Life is hard!  I know he will be trying and learning from his successes, and especially from his failures.  I need to put judgments aside, since it is his life to live.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Says it's Right Here in These Teeth...Jaws

"See the good food. Feed the noogies." 2/25/21