Be Flexible (Contains Update)

Saturday, April 6th

During morning meditation, I asked my Spirit Guide Somoya what I needed to know for today.  I then heard an internal voice say, "Be flexible."

My wife Kelly and I are heading to Orcas Island in the San Juans this morning.  This has been our mini vacation/anniversary get away for the last two years.  We are spending two nights/three days at Deer Harbor.  Per history, almost every vacation we have taken together, I have not shown flexibility.  When I am not flexible, my mood ends up ruining the day or sometimes the entire trip, which is terrible for both of us.  Not being flexible dampens the fun.  

When I heard this message from Somoya, I knew I needed to own this and be open to change.  I recognized in the moment I need to go with the flow.  I gained the insight that any situation can be fun, if one is willing to be flexible.  I realized that without me being flexible, I affect everyone's mood.    For example, when I am scared, anxious, and/or worried, it affects my tone of voice.  I become too serious.  I become the "killjoy" of the vacation.  It is not my intention, but this is what happens if I allow fear and anxiety to get the best of me.  For me to be flexible, I have to let go and trust in the outcome.  I truly have to go with the flow and make the most of any moment, whether it meets my expectations or not.  So, this morning I decided to take the risk of letting go of my perceptions of control, by being flexible from moment to moment.  I am going to change this part of my personality in order to better my relationship with my loved ones and be happier in my work environment.

4/6/19 Update:

I told my wife what I heard at the beginning of our trip in order to hold myself accountable.  She seemed intrigued by Somoya's message, but more surprised that I was open, had buy in, and was taking action by demonstrating my flexibility throughout the day:  I skipped my daily routine of shaving and showering.  I allowed her to drive.  I offered to pay for the ferry ride without commenting on the cost.  I didn't react to weather changes.  I wasn't upset by our reduced view of the harbor (compared to last year's amazing view).  I remained upbeat and went with the flow all throughout the day.  As a result, we had an incredibly fun day filled with several meaningful conversations, wonderful meals, hot tubbing, rub a dub in the tub, and many many laughs!  To top off the day, I had an unbelievable synchronistic moment.  Both Kelli and I saw a boat name "FLEXIBLE" moored in the harbor on our evening stroll.  This was ten hours later after hearing Somoya's message.  How cool is that?!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Says it's Right Here in These Teeth...Jaws

"See the good food. Feed the noogies." 2/25/21