Stewards of our community and for one another

I woke up this morning relaxed and feeling my basic needs had been met.  Showered, dressed, drank water, and had some food.  My wife was already gone for the morning to celebrate one of her best friends.  Her friend had recently had a birthday.

The home was quiet.  The way I love it.  I can breathe and process freely without interruptions.  Due to the stillness of our home, I became aware of random shouting outside near our apartment complex.  I chose not to react at first, and to let it go.  The noise continued to persist.  I preceded to look out the window and crack it open to listen.  I saw a middle aged African American woman yelling and pacing back an forth on the sidewalk.  The first thing I noticed was she was without socks and shoes.  That concerned me the most.  I knew it was not warm outside based on yesterdays weather forecast.  She was wearing all black and a black coat.  She didn't appear to be yelling at anyone in particular, but it was clear by her body language she was very upset.  Due to the distance, I was only able to catch some words, but they were words of profanity.  

After a quick moment of assessment/processing the situation, I decided to venture outside and see if I could offer the woman any assistance.  Again, I figured she needed some help, since her basic need of socks and shoes were not being met.

I was cautious in how I approached her, since she appeared very angry and animated.   I kept some distance and gently asked if I could be of assistance.  She did not respond and continued to rant.  I stated I was concerned, due to the fact that she was not wearing socks and shoes.  It was overcast and very cool outside.  Typical Seattle spring weather.  She quickly glanced at me, paused for a moment, but went back to pacing and shouting into the air.  I next offered to call for her some assistance.  The woman threw me a sharp glance and calmly stated, "I don't know you."  The woman went back to walking the sidewalk and yelling obscenities.  I retreated back to my home feeling defeated.  I knew she clearly needed support physically and mentally, but my efforts were not welcomed in the moment.

Once inside, I continued to hear the woman yell and see her pace outside my window.  I next decided it would be best to call the police, their non-emergent number.  I shared my concerns and stated what I saw.  The police stated they would dispatch a car.  I was drawn outside on my balcony to see if the car would arrive and assist the woman.  My exposure to the cool weather gave me a strong gut feeling to give the woman a pair of my socks.  After 30 minutes past, I called the police back.  They stated they had other calls to attend to first, but that the call had been noted.  

Not knowing how long it would be for the woman to receive assistance, I took it upon myself to go back outside and try another attempt to engage.  My gut told me the socks would be an "ice breaker". My gut was correct.

When I came across the woman who was still yelling and pacing the sidewalk, I showed her and gently smiled and said softly that I had a pair of socks to keep her feet warm.  She immediately stopped yelling and pacing.  She smiled.  The woman said, "Thank you."  She sat down on some steps outside the apartment complex next door and put the socks on top of a leather coat.  I was perplexed why she didn't put them on, but amazed how she quickly calmed down.

The woman began talking in pressured speech, but in a normal volume.  She stated she has lived everywhere and she is famous.  She stated she was Obama and some other famous people.  It was difficult to track the monologue, due to the noise of cars wizzing by.  I asked what her name was.  She stated, "I have many names."  I stated my name is Marty.  She proceeded to ask me, "May I have some water?"  I quickly went back to my home and returned with a glass of water, banana, and a couple of oranges.  She again was very grateful.  She continued to remain sitting on the steps and eating the fruit.  I asked if she had a home to go to, but she kept stating her car was stolen and that she can't trust people. She stated she has always been a giving person, since she was a child.  I actively listened an validated her feelings of feeling hurt.  I could tell she appreciated the validation, by her often response of "Thank you."  I asked if she had a place to live.  She stated, "I live all over the place."  In my mind, I took a step back, and told myself to stop trying to save or fix.  What I had done was what she needed in the moment.  Once the woman felt her thirst was quenched, I wished her well and said goodbye.  

Once back at home, I then took care of my need of making and eating lunch.  The afternoon air remained absent of emotional outbursts in my nearby neighborhood.  I later found out from calling the police back that two offers did show up to the scene.  I felt happy and content.  I took notice of another person in need.  I reached out.  I took immediate action.  My action and the actions of professionals met her temporary needs in the moment.  The hope is the professionals can connect her to needed services-mental health agency and a women's shelter.   In addition, the greater hope is she is open to receiving these services.  

We (myself and the local police) did not fix or save her, but we acted like stewards of our community and for one another.  Is this a realistic hope for our society to respond is such a way from moment to moment...day to day to care for one another?  I sadly saw no one who was walking by or driving by stop to offer a helping hand in the hour I observed and engaged with this distraught woman.  Selfishness, fear and/or indifference are the barriers to reaching out and caring for one another and our community at whole.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It Says it's Right Here in These Teeth...Jaws

"See the good food. Feed the noogies." 2/25/21